Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My Little Leprechaun

Last St. Patrick's Day you were all snug inside my belly. I was waddling around waiting for you to signal for your exit. It would come 8 days later.

This St. Patrick's Day, it was "green" day at Ms. Patti's daycare. You were adorable in your green and orange dress from Children's Place with yellow leggings. I placed shamrock ears on your head. You kept them on for .3 seconds. But it was cute while it lasted. St. Patrick's Day 2010 is your last "first holiday experience" come next Thursday, you will be doing everything for a second time.


This reminds me of your first ever holiday experience: Easter 2009.

The first time we left the house together to go out in public was with Jessica. Ashley was still in her belly. We went to Kennilworth mall near our Towson home to take you to see the Easter Bunny. It was the Friday before Easter, I think it was April 8, 2009. You were only two weeks old. I was nervous. I was tired. I was a disheveled mess. Jessica was so calm and helped us through being out in public. We brought the stroller and put you in it. Once we got into the mall the line to get your picture taken with the Easter Bunny was wrapped around the mall. We got in line. We waited. You slept. You slept for a long time. A little boy was running around being a maniac. He was spunky. A little girl was in front of us, cooing and smiling for her parents she was glowing. You slept. People commented on how "new" you were. How fresh from God you were. I left to buy drinks for Jessica and I. When I got back. Jessica grabbed me by the arm, laughing, said, "it was a good thing you weren't here. You would have freaked."
???
Apparently the over active little boy in line was throwing his baseball cap up in the air over and over. He over threw his hat and it flew. Flew right into your stroller, right onto your head. Covering up your entire face. Everyone gasped as they watched the cap fly right into your stroller. Jessica took it off your face and gave it back to the little boy. You never stirred. The embarrassed father apologized and disciplined his son.

We finally got up to the front of the line. The Easter Bunny held you. We got a picture with your eyes closed but NOT crying. That's all I could really hope for. You were a real trooper.


Weird to think that a year ago you were not in the world yet. I cannot imagine a moment you were not here. When I think of the past, I think of you too. You were always a part of me, always there. That's how our family feels. We always were and we always will be. I am comforted by this, I hope you are too.

No comments: