Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I should be scrapbooking...

I had this hair-brained idea that I would make you a scrapbook for your first birthday. It would chronicle the first 12 months in fun, whimsical pages of pictures and stickers and printed paper. We went to the craft store and bought all the necessary materials. I have done March 09 through October 09 (month 7), I think. Your birthday is the day after tomorrow and your party is Saturday.
I should be scrapbooking right now. But I am watching Lost and writing in this blog instead.

I ponder about whether or not I should be scrapbooking or filling out your baby book. But then I think, that's what I'm doing. I am chronicling your life, your stories, just digitally. Ah Nora. My little digital native. You love to play "office" and type on daddy's computer.


You have your own pretend laptop. You have an entire page of apps on my i-Phone, you love remotes, buttons, flashing lights. You love our laptops. You get this manic look in your face when we actually allow you to touch one, like your addict getting your fix. Technology addict.




Well as Marc Presky calls you: digital native. I am a digital immigrant. The names speak for themselves but you can read his 2001 article all about this.
You know that I am technology teacher. Or you should know that I was during your first year. Who knows what the future holds. Anyway, I understand how 'your people' learn. I have studied how digital natives absorb and process information. Does that mean you won't appreciate my scrapbook? I don't think so, but I also have been processing and recording information differently since my instructional technology grad programs.

I hope you learn to appreciate the act and effort of creation, whether it be of the mind, hands, voice, body. This doesn't mean that creation shouldn't use technology. Look at Jorge Colombo of the New Yorker. He merged the act of creation with technology quite nicely.

Now I am off on a tangent.

Anyway, Nora, you have started creating. Creating with crayons, pens, markers. You love to scribble on paper or the table. You sort of hum or babble as you scribble. It appears you are thinking about what you creating. I treasure this. I like to think about your mind and how you are connecting and learning. I see you concentrate on your i-phone apps. I wonder about your neurons firings and fusing. I find it fascinating to watch you use traditional methods of creation with technological innovations. Many people want to prevent their kids from watching TV or using the computer or having 'technology overload.' I like to believe in exposure. I want you to be familiar with a paint brush and the feel of sticky paint on your fingers and toes, but I want you to be able to draw and create a picture using your finger on the i-phone too. I will take you to the zoo to see and smell the animals, but I want you to be able to ask a question about an animal and be able to find an answer from an expert even if the zookeeper at our zoo isn't working that day. Technology does not take the place of experience, it only enhances it. One day in Paris, you will be lost wandering among the crooked, crowded streets, you will soak in the history and culture and when your memory knowledge of Parisian traditions or French language fails, you pull out your smart phone and access the resources needed to assist you in your experience.

I have to start thinking about what educational philosophy I believe is best for you. My child. Different than my teaching pedagogy. You are practically one and now are forward facing in the car seat!!!! Next stop, Kindergarten!


No comments: