Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Polar Vortex II

We were lucky to miss the first polar vortex when we were in Disney. Unfortunately, there was no escaping this one. We are on day 5 of being home-bound... school has been off first for a three day weekend and then for 2 snow days. I am ready to return to our normal schedule. Why haven't I blogged more? Well there are these two people who live with me that are quite demanding for attention and need to be fed periodically. But that's all the time!
Your father turned 40! Happy Birthday Nels! We love you!!! We also tried skiing for the first time this season and we were moderately successful. Nora, you would only go on the magic carpet (no lift) but that was 100% better than Lucy who didn't even put the skis on! She played in the snow for an hour but refused to wear the skis. It was freezing too! But not compared to the temperatures today. And your father decided to finally (after 4 years of promising me) install a new kitchen floor this past weekend. EXCEPT! When we went to demolish the current floor to lay the new floor, we found beautiful original 100+ year old hardwood. I think restoring an old floor is harder than laying a new one. Which deserves a post of it's own... I know I need to pick up with Disney Day 3 first. But for right now, I shall tide you over with pictures of the Polar Vortex II... which needs to end as I found a bag of unused candy cane Hershey kisses left over from the holidays in the art bin and haven't stopped eating them... get me out of here!!!!

It started on Saturday with a dusting...
Pjs at our neighborhood cafe.
Nora- this is what you wore to breakfast on Saturday. Elsa dress, winter shawl, "parasol" aka Doc McStuffins umbrella and please don't forget the muff. The rest of us were dressed in full out winter gear. Did I mention we walk down main street to get breakfast?
Monday was warm at 40 degrees enough for a impromptu picnic snack. 
After a brutal snow storm that lasted all day yesterday, today teases us with warm sunshine and bright blue skies. Except it is -12 with the wind chill. 0 without. 
I couldn't take it anymore. We walked to the cafe 5 blocks away just to escape the house. 
Nora- you had hot chocolate with whipped cream. 
Lucy- you had warm chocolate with whipped cream.
Then the antics began. 
Reading the latest Better Homes. Not disturbing the hipsters working around us... yeah right.
Crisp and clear, look at that sky! 

Who cares about the warnings of being outside for more than 10 minutes at a time?!?! Let's PLAY! 
That wood stove is working over time this week! 
The polar vortex is not suppose to lift for a week. Cold cold temperatures... in the single digits and negatives some nights. God help me. Maybe I will find a bag of reese's peanut butter cups to get me through the next few days... the kisses are almost gone.

No comments: