Friday, August 31, 2012

Going, Going, Gone

Another birthday, another year. Except, this year my new school which is this insane utopian  micro-community were so incredibly generous. A cake was made, a gift, good wishes, taken out to lunch. I worked 5 years in one school and not so much as a happy birthday was thrown my way. I've been at this school all of 5 minutes and I have been embraced and welcomed like I've been there for 20 years. It's a surreal place to work. The culture they breed is contagious and it gives me hope for the future.

Then home and a steak dinner and cupcake from J-Cafe for dessert with the Wagmans. And then a phone call from Nonna to wish me a happy birthday and to tell me her mother, my grandmother died that morning. She was old and sick and had been under hospice care for almost 3 months. But still. My grandmother died on my 31st birthday.

Daddy had prepped you in the bath the night before my birthday to wish me a happy birthday the next morning. I had little faith you would remember through the night. When I woke you up at 6:30am, right away you stretched your arms and little body into a long arch and exclaimed: "It's your birthday momma. Happy Birthday!"

Why would I have doubted you? I shouldn't be surprised anymore. When walking down the stairs, you asked me how old I was. When I thought about it, I said: "I'm 3 like you and 1 like Lucy!" I don't think my age will ever match you and Lu again.

Each moment, everyday is like a birthday candle...

Going,

Going,

Gone.

I love you girls.

No comments: