Tuesday, December 21, 2010

On Your Own

Oh Santa.
Is it wrong of me to want a picture with you and Santa? Your first experience with Santa this holiday season was at our church. I was not there since I was working that Saturday. However Becca and Daddy took you. Apparently you were excitedly pointing and waving at Santa but then when it was time to get close, you had a melt down and you were only being held standing next to Santa. You never even had to touch him!



Nothing could console you, except the candy cane they give you when you leave.



I was somewhat annoyed that I was not included in this trip to see Santa. However, I got my chance to take you to the mall on Friday with a friend to see Santa. I prepared you for the visit with books and discussions and pictures and a TV show that all focused on how fun Santa is. Again you were excited to go and see Santa but as soon as we turned the corner and he was sitting there is his big green chair, you freaked out. Screaming fit. Oh well, take the picture I told them. I guess she is not ready for Santa this year.

We were paying and getting out things together. You intensely watched another little girl around 4 years old jollily skip onto Santa's lap and chat it up. Santa was ho ho hoing an the little girl was smiling, you were watching this exchange. The little girl finished and Santa was alone waiting for his next visitor when all of a sudden I looked down and you weren't next to me. In a moment of panic I started to spin around looking for where your little legs took you. I saw you at the last place I thought you would ever go... Santa. On your own you had decided to give him another go around. The photographer was gracious enough to snap another picture and swap it out. Now I know you aren't sitting on his lap and not even close to smiling but you went to him all by yourself.



Once the picture was taken everyone cheered including the photographer and Santa and even some families waiting in line. You came running up to me with your arms outstretched with an enormous grin on your face. It was obvious that you were proud of yourself and this very big accomplishment.

I am again reminded of your fierce independence and how I can only give you some coping tools but when and how you will live and experience is all up to you. I am so proud that you took a chance and went to meet Santa all on your own.

No comments: